2nd Edition touring map [Latest 2021]: Scale 1:200 000 [5cm = 10km] LAMINATED
NEW 2nd EDITION
Fully revised and now with scannable QR codes that open up masses of online info!
NOW WITH CASH-SAVING DELIVERY OPTIONS, SEE CHECK OUT
Our ‘Tankwa-Karoo & Roggeveld Escarpment’ map can also be purchased in our COMPLETE TOURING MAPS Special, our brand new SECRET CAPE Special, and our 5 x 4 x 4 HOLIDAY PACKAGE. Choose which Special you want for a great discount!die swart klip waar jou vuur was
is byna dood gereën
hierdie grond was nie gekoop nie
sommer maar geleen
If you prefer to purchase from a Retail Outlet near you, you can find a stockist HERE
The Tankwa-Karoo is scarcely a two hour drive from Cape Town, yet until recently the region has been known and explored by only the hardiest of travellers. It is a true desert, but after spring rains it can be a feast of flowers. It is ringed by mountains, the fynbos-clad Cederberg to the west and the beautiful, high Roggeveld around Sutherland to the east. Here are mighty plains – the remains of an ancient seabed – with extraordinary fauna and flora, flanked by mighty peaks scratching 2000 metres. There are breathtaking passes, fantastic ravines and a history filled with great joys and many sadnesses. Here were the first roads to the fabled diamond fields, lost roads to the lure of gold. If you crave silence you'll find it here like nowhere else, under vast, star-filled skies.
Writing in 'Wild' magazine's 'best reads for summer 2018' the editor, Romi Boom, wrote:
"If you love maps, like I do, you’ll enjoy each astonishing one produced by Peter and Maggie Slingsby, adventurers who drive every road to scour the countryside for their monumental projects. Their latest offering covers Tankwa Karoo National Park and its vast surroundings, from mighty plains and peaks to breathtaking passes and ravines, the fynbos-clad Cederberg to the west, the Roggeveld mountains around Sutherland to the east."
– Romi Boom
Read Romi's original review here
The Tankwa has become increasingly popular in recent years; famous for its wonder-filled National Park and for hosting the annual AfrikaBurn festival. There are many delightful places to stay and, in the high Roggeveld with its winter snowfalls, many fascinating nooks and crannies to explore. But this is not a place for the faint-hearted – we advise travelling these lonely roads with at least a pair of well-equipped high-clearance vehicles, and two spare wheels!
This is the second, revised edition of the first detailed map ever produced of the whole Tankwa and the Roggeveld Escarpment; may you enjoy your exciting journeys of discovery just as we did when we drove every one of these roads for this project.This double-sided, full-relief map covers, at a scale of 1:200 000, the eastern Cederberg mountain range in the west and the Roggeveld escarpment to the east. In between lies the entire Tankwa-Karoo and the smaller but drier Ceres-Karoo. From Calvinia in the north the map stretches southwards to Middelpos, Sutherland and Laingsburg, and westwards to Touws River and Ceres, with Op-die-Berg and Wupperthal on the western edge.
- All roads from National Highways to minor gravel roads are shown; the many classifications that indicate the quality of each road help you plan your route. There is a special section about the roads. Distances are clearly shown with 4 x 4 information and warnings where necessary.
- GPS coordinates in DD MM SS format are provided for every road-junction.
- All tourism facilities and accommodation establishments are shown in the out-of-town areas.
- The map links to our maps of the Cederberg and the Swartberg and Klein-Karoo.
- A1 double-sided full colour map
- Scale 1:200 000 (5cm = 10km) 20m contours; relief and hill shading
- 5' Long/Lat grid
- Coords in DD MM SS format at every road-junction
- LAMINATED in plastic sleeve
- ISBN 978-1-920377-46-5
IMPORTANT NOTES ABOUT DIGITAL GIFTS
1. Our digital maps are effectively snapshots of our paper maps. They are not interactive [enlargement does not reveal greater detail] nor does removing elements, eg title pane, reveal more mapped area. That said, they can be enlarged or reduced to the limits of their resolution [300 dpi] with complete flexibility.
2. iPHONES: We have recently been made aware that some iPhones store picture content in the Cloud, not on the phone, necessitating downloads every time you want to use the map.
3. Please remember our recommendation: that you download your digital purchases to a laptop or other hard drive before transferring them [if required] to a tablet or smartphone.
4. Please note that digital products are NOT RETURNABLE! How could we possibly know whether they have been completely erased from all your devices?
Share this Product
More from this collection
We would have been lost in the Tankwa without the map, detailed and easy to read and follow.... the farm names really help as well for navigation and location!
Really glad we bought the map, the plastic covering also makes it easy to mark routes and plans and later just wipe off when done. Thanks Slingsby, a job well done!
I love the maps. Will start exploring. In the new year. Thank you
Good quality and accuracy, nice relevant detail and attractive presentation. Love the maps
I was surprised to find all the detailed info. Do not have a GPS, but this will really help.
Thank you for delivering at lightning speed.. The detail and quality of your products are unmatched.